Confused about samba4 & s3fs

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Sun Aug 19 00:45:48 MDT 2012

On 18/08/12 22:31, Gémes Géza wrote:

>>> These different components perform different roles in the Samba system.
>>> The AD DC has only one daemon binary you need to interact with,
>>> 'samba'.
>>> Users wishing to have a file server or a domain member server need to
>>> use 'nmbd, smbd and winbindd' as they have done with Samba 3.x
>>>
>> Hi Andrew
>>
>> I think that this thread is finally getting end users like me nearer
>> the mark. Plain English answers are a must for folk like us.
>>
>> When I type samba I seem to get smbd whether I like it or not. It
>> works fine as a file server.
>> Is this what we call s3fs?
>> Is that different from the smbd I get with running smbd on s S3.6 box?
>>
>> What does nmbd do? Does it get started when I call samba?
>>
>> Does winbindd get started along with smbd when I call samba too? it
>> seems to be because nsswitch with winbind (with the correct links)
>> allows getent paswd/group to work.
>>
>> As I say, simple, short yes/no answers would be most welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Steve
>>

> Ok I'll try to give a sum up answer to all this
> samba/smbd/nmbd/winbind questions.
>
> 1. On a samba3 box member of an Active Directory domain (Samba4 or
> Windows doesn't matter) the following daemons must be started (your
> distribution could start more than one of the from the same init script):
> 1A. smbd: This provides the file and printer shares
> 1B. nmbd: This provides the network browsing, wins client or server
> functions
> 1C. winbind: This maps between Active Directory users/groups and Unix
> users/groups (needed only if member of a domain)
> If you run a netstat -lpn on a samba3 box you will see all the three
> daemons running (- perhaps winbind if it is not a domain member), if
> any is missing you should start it.
>
> 2. On samba4 the intention was to simplify this for users, so they
> wouldn't need three daemons, and all the functionality mentioned
> before was planed to be integrated into a single binary: samba.
> Unfortunately this implementation still misses a few user visible
> points (like network browsing, or ability to retrieve user
> homedirectory or shell from AD). In order to be on par with samba3
> regarding file and printer sharing capabilities the ntvfs fileserver
> (integrated into the samba binary) got "replaced" by smbd from samba3
> (s3fs). smbd gets started by the samba binary if configured to use
> s3fs (the default from the betas). So you need to start one binary:
> samba which takes care of everything else.
> So on a modern samba4 installation netstat -lpn should reveal binary
> called samba listening on quite many ports and a smbd binary listen on
> the ports which it would listen on a samba3 installation as well. But
> keep in mind this smbd instance was started with special configuration
> to turn to the samba binary for most of the rpc operations. On the
> other hand no such integration effort for the nmbd binary from the
> [...]
Yes it does, thanks but raises a few more questions.

Is the 'winbind' that runs internally in the samba daemon as capable as
the samba3 winbind daemon?

Will the things that don't work in smbd at present, such as create mask,
be made to work?

Will nmbd be checked and altered so it doesn't have unpleasant
consequences?, though I must say it does just seem to work at present.

Rowland

believed to be clean.