Confused about samba4 & s3fs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Aug 18 08:33:59 MDT 2012

On 18/08/12 15:16, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 14:09 +0100, Rowland Penny wrote:

> These different components perform different roles in the Samba system.
> The AD DC has only one daemon binary you need to interact with, 'samba'.
> Users wishing to have a file server or a domain member server need to
> use 'nmbd, smbd and winbindd' as they have done with Samba 3.x

Hi Andrew

I think that this thread is finally getting end users like me nearer the
mark. Plain English answers are a must for folk like us.

When I type samba I seem to get smbd whether I like it or not. It works
fine as a file server.
Is this what we call s3fs?
Is that different from the smbd I get with running smbd on s S3.6 box?

What does nmbd do? Does it get started when I call samba?

Does winbindd get started along with smbd when I call samba too? it
seems to be because nsswitch with winbind (with the correct links)
allows getent paswd/group to work.

As I say, simple, short yes/no answers would be most welcome.

Cheers,
Steve