Confused about samba4 & s3fs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Aug 18 06:42:02 MDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-18 at 12:08 +0200, steve wrote:

> 3. Is the aim of the Samba4 team still to have a drop in replacement to
> Samba3? In Samba 4 RC1? Like, one where the distros take the RC and make
> it available to overwrite the existing setups for their next upgrade?

Yes, this is the plan.  But it will, except for gaining exciting new
features like SMB3, behave exactly as Samba 3.x has done.

That is, the new 'samba' binary and AD tools will be provided (if
packaged), but existing configurations will remain essentially
unchanged, except where they rely on a now removed feature (the things
we deprecated in 3.6 and some other obscure features).

This will work because we still ship all the Samba 3.x binaries, and
within that caveat, they still all do the same things they always have
done.