Confused about samba4 & s3fs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Sat Aug 18 04:08:40 MDT 2012

On 18/08/12 11:46, Rowland Penny wrote:
> On 18/08/12 09:06, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> A) do not use s3fs -- it is not ready yet
> B) do not use nmbd -- again it is not ready yet
> C) only use ntvfs if you are upgrading -- it is outdated
>
> Bearing this in mind and as a user, I do not think this software is
> anywhere near RC status, mind you, this is just my opinion.
>
> Rowland

Hi everyone
OK. This one is not easy for end users.

Having tried and been satisfied with a DC and s3fs on one box, User and
group mapping via nss-pam-ldapd is fast, furious and solid. I've just
setup 2 boxes to try the (what I think is the) recommended Samba4 DC
with a separate Samba3.6 box as file server.

Some comments.
1. It works but omg, what an effort.
2. Administrator has no rights to do anything on the shares. Subject of
another thread.
3. With s3fs, Administrator has right to change the permissions on all
shares and write to them himself by default. What gives with smbd on S3.6?.
4. I must say it was a relief to be able to put stuff like create mask =
0700 and stuff that you can't do with s3fs.
5. For Linux clients winbind on the file server must have:
winbind use default domain = Yes
otherwise pam_krb5 will disallow the authentication because it tries to
authenticate as DOMAIN\<user> but the Samba4 KDC wants simply <user>
6. I have Samba3.6.6 installed on the file sever from the latest
openSUSE rpm, but xp reports it as 3.6.3. Maybe a question for the
openSUSE gurus?

Questions
1. To use winbind on the S4-DC, do I have to start winbindd? Or does the
samba binary start it for me? (the results for getent are different of I
start it before or after samba)
2. Can anyone comment on the comments?
3. Is the aim of the Samba4 team still to have a drop in replacement to
Samba3? In Samba 4 RC1? Like, one where the distros take the RC and make
it available to overwrite the existing setups for their next upgrade?

Cheers,
Steve