Confused about samba4 & s3fs

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Thu Aug 16 11:22:40 MDT 2012

On 16/08/12 15:10, Arvid Requate wrote:
> maybe I should have explained more clearly, that s3fs is a service of
> the samba process that avoids the need to start the smbd separately
> and provides all the internal wiring necessary to authenticate against
> the samba backend. AFAIK s3fs efetively runs the same codebase as
> smbd. So you have to differentiate between three thigs here: first the
> "old style" of running smbd as a separate process, second the
> improved convenience of "s3fs" that runs/forks mostly the same code
> automatically from the samba process itself. And finally the "NTvfs"
> fileserver code, which AFAIK is based on an initiative mainly of Tridge to
> write a fileserver from scratch with an improved internal structure. The
> NTvfs code is still in source4, but it is not the default (as of beta1) as
> it is still in early stages of development and feature completeness as
> compared to the smbd/s3fs code.
>
> Cheers,
Sorry I am still confused, I know that if you now start the samba4
daemon you also get the smbd daemon, you can start the nmbd daemon to
get network browsing. As far as I can see, all of this works, so I ask
again, do I use s3fs so it can be tested or not?

If testing is not required, why was all the effort put into adding s3fs
to samba4?

Rowland

believed to be clean.