Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 14 01:25:05 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 22:50 -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:

> I think we should really start to tackle all our blocking bugs for 4.0
> before the RC, we can recheck the list also we discussed about a white
> paper for users about 4.0 in terms of understanding what is this 4.0
> release (ie. stability of the file server between version 3.6.x and
> 4.0.x, ...) I think if we decide not to have read ACLs activated it's
> *really* important to state it in this kind of paper so that admin
> picking this are aware of it.
> A release a bit before SDC didn't sounds to bad if we starts to tackle
> the two points mentioned before.

Matthieu,

I'm confused.  How can we start to tackle all our blocking bugs for 4.0
before the RC and a do an RC before SDC?

To be clear:  I don't have time for any of the bugs attached as blockers
there so far, and don't expect that situation to improve in the next
month.   (I'm still swamped by trying to keep on top of the various
things reported on the list daily and the remaining s3fs issues).

I appreciate your offer to find time to work on this, but I also think
we need to be much more realistic about what we can actually achieve.

All that said, I agree it would be useful to start on a document
explaining how Samba 4.0 and it's components fits into Samba's release
stream.  Perhaps this is something concrete you can start on?

Thanks,