Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Mon Aug 13 09:27:33 MDT 2012

On 12/08/12 13:59, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> (TLDR: I want us to think about if we should release Samba 4.0 before or
> after SDC and the MS plugfest).

Hi Andrew, hi everyone.

Having done all this work on s3fs and still not being able to recommend
it as a file server on the same box a the DC doesn't look good. The
rfc2307 compatibility doesn't yet work for the full set of rfc2307. It
seems unlikely to do so in the near future. Unless. . .

Many of us use predominantly Linux clients on our Samba4 LAN's keeping
only the xp and windows compatibility for e.g. photoshop and admin
programs that will only run under m$. For we users, the S4 LDAP is a
vast improvement over S3/openLDAP.

Please do not release a RC until the rfc2307 requirements of a large
number of Samba devotees have been met. On s3fs.

Cheers,
Steve