Releasing Samba 4.0 RC1?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Aug 13 07:20:59 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 15:16 +0300, Nadezhda Ivanova wrote:
> With the current LDAP acl missing functionality, I don't know if RC is
> feasible... Unfortunately I am not able to work on this at the moment, or
> in the near future. If someone wants to do it I will help, but I am not in
> a position anymore to maintain this code...

Thanks Nadya,

I really didn't mean this to put you on the spot with this.  What you
have done with our ACL code is extraordinary, and we are much better off
because of it.  It is sad that the great push that we were both a part
of didn't work out in the long run, but we all benefit from the work
that was done.

>From here, what we do need to be is realistic with regards to how much
we can do, with the resources that are available day-to-day.

My position has always been to release Samba 4.0 'as is' in terms of
major features (and I consider things like moving to read ACLs to be a
new major feature).  The view of the team was that we had to finish s3fs
first, and so I've been working on that, but it just isn't realistic to
try and schedule any other such work before RC1, even if it is listed as
a blocker bug.

For myself, I seem to remain tied up with that s3fs integration work.
(As an example, I still haven't fixed up the DNS replication situation
to my satisfaction).

I'll continue to promote Samba 4.0 to our users and to companies that
see the promise that our former employer saw in our work here.
Hopefully we will again see the great strides forward in AD function
that you I and the others achieved.