Samba4 storage of RID pool?

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Fri Aug 10 14:34:06 MDT 2012

Hi,

Is there any function/method, to retrieve the RID pool from a given
Samba4 (or Win) Active Directory Controller?

I'm asking that because I plan to write a patch for samba-tool which
would assign uid/gid numbers based on the existing RID, according to the
following algorithm:
First search for uidNumber==RID and gidNumber==RID, if none found assign
uidNumber=RID or gidNumber=RID, if the given uidNumber/gidNumber has
been found (it is already allocated) try the next one from the RID pool,
until found on free (by free I mean neither uidNumber or gidNumber uses
that RID).
This way the ability to assign a free uidNumber to groups is guaranteed,
because the real uidNumbers and gidNumbers don't overlap.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers

Geza Gemes