When your code absolutely, always, *has* to work :-).

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Aug 7 10:29:17 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 12:09 -0400, Scott Lovenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:

> >> No, I wasn't seriously suggesting no malloc, after all we're
> >> not running on a spaceship :-).
> >>
> >> But I found the contraints really interesting - what you need
> >> to do to C code to make it space-safe !
> >
> > Not just for space.
> >
> > The same guidelines are used for both military and civil aeronautics
> > normally. And nuclear power plants, and anything really, really mission
> > critical where failure would be super expensive or life threatening.
> >

> I was under the impression that avionics and most military code was
> generally written in Ada because of the safety mechanisms built it?
> A friend of mine works for a (large) company that does medical testing
> and everything is written in Python.  I thought he was joking when he
> first told me.

Medical devices are a joke nowadays, search for hacking insulin pumps,
the situation there is dire.
Medical devices are far from running decent software I wouldn't take
them as examples.

As for military it depends which military I guess, my knowledge comes
from the EU side and is admittedly a bit dated :)

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce