Samba4 DNS - Some objects grayed out in Windows DNS tool

Brian C. Huffman bhuffman at etinternational.com
Fri Aug 3 08:00:34 MDT 2012

All,

I've seen this before, but I'm getting ready to migrate to Samba4 for
directory services in my company and it makes me a little wary not
knowing why this happens.  I see some entries at the top of my Windows
DNS tool that are folders instead of standard entries and then some more
that are folders that are grayed out.  In all cases these should be
standard host records but somehow they're also listed here as folders
(I'm not referring to the system ones like "_sites", "_tcp", etc).  Each
folder also has a correct matching host record.  I believe in the past
I've been able to make some of the gray entries go away by restarting
samba.  But currently I'm not able to get rid of them all.

Can someone explain if this is expected behavior?  Is there any harm in it?

Thanks,
Brian