Print job processing from Windows...

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Fri Aug 3 01:28:06 MDT 2012

On Tuesday 31 July 2012 11:28:23 R. Welsh wrote:
> Hello,

Hi R.,

> I've installed F17 (Fedora 17) 64-bit Linux on a machine and am using
> Samba version 3.6.6 to provide service to Windows machines on the local
> network.
>
> I am using a Brother HL-1440 Laser printer connected to the Linux
> machine for print jobs both locally and from the network.  I am able to
> print any type of document from the Linux console to this printer (PDF,
> text, output from web browser, office documents).
>
> I am only able to print documents from Windows machines to the Linux
> printer using MS Office or a web browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox)
> or printing a test page from the Printer Properties configuration on the
> Windows machines.  I am unable to print PDF documents (using Adobe
> Reader or Foxit Reader) or text documents (using MS Notepad, MS Wordpad,
> or PilotEdit Lite) to the same printer.
>
> I have played with the configuration of the printer driver setup on the
> Linux server to see if this might impact results with no change.  The
> last change I made was to download the Brother HL-1440 lpr driver and
> CUPS wrapper from the Brother web site and am currently using this
> configuration to drive the printer from this Linux machine.  But all
> changes I have attempted yield the same results above.
>
> Viewing the CUPS log files on the Linux machine, I see log entries for
> the local print jobs from the Linux console and the successful print
> jobs from the Windows machines.  But, I cannot find entries for the
> failed print jobs from the Windows machines in any of the logs on the
> Linux server, and no error messages being reported on the Windows
> machines.
>
> Any idea what I might be missing, or how I could chase this down?

Could you please create a network trace of a failing job and attach a debug
level 10 log?

Howto at the end.

Cheers,

	-- andreas

SAMBA BUG REPORTING
++++++++++++++++++++

This is a small howto to help you to provide all information which are needed
to find out what's going on your machine. This is a general howto so maybe it
will cover more things you don't use.

Providing Samba log files
==========================

Post the output of 'rpm -qi samba' or 'rpm -qi samba-<subpackage>' if you're
on
a RPM based system. It gives detailed information about the installed
packages.
We need that information to reconstruct what happened and possibly to
reproduce
the bug on our machines.

Provide all log files from '/var/log/samba/' directory and the tdb files from
'/var/lib/samba' and the configuration file '/etc/samba/smb.conf'.

If winbind for logging in is part of the problem please provide
'/etc/security/pam_winbind.conf' and if you have enabled debug in
'pam_winbind.conf' '/var/log/messages' or '/var/log/secure' is required too.

More detailed description about different Samba components can be found below
this section.

Providing backtraces
=====================

If you discover a crash in one of the Samba components, please make sure that
you have installed debuginfo packages. Often the backtrace can be found in the
log files. If you have installed debuginfo packages, you can find a short
backtrace in the log files and a few lines later the full backtrace. Make sure
you provide the full backtrace.

Testing daemons (winbind, smb, nmb)
====================================

1. Stop all running Samba processes (winbind, smb, nmb)

2. Remove all log files from /var/log/samba/

    With this approach we ensure to have the start date of the testing in the
    log files.

3. Edit /etc/samba/smb.conf and set the following variables in the in the
   [general] section of the config:

     debug level = 10
     debug pid = true
     max log size = 0

    Instead of setting a global debug level in smb.conf it's also visible to
    use

     smbcontrol <damon_name> debug 10

    to increase the debug level of the Samba daemon in question to 10 at run
    time.

    If winbind is part of the scenario edit /etc/security/pam_winbind.conf
    and set:

     debug = yes

4. Start the processes again (winbind, smb, nmb)

5. Reproduce the error and note the time when you start any test. If a problem
   occurs while testing note the time (use date on the system you perform the
   tests on to get a time fitting to the log files).

Attach the log files from '/var/log/samba/' and the tdb files from
'/var/lib/samba/' to the bug. If possible, remove the tdb files and provide
clean
files. Therefore it's best to bond them to one compressed tar archive. The
relevant parts of '/var/log/messages' could be interesting too.

Network traces
===============

If possible create network traces with tcpdump or wireshark from the problem
and
attach them too. Always make sure to capture only one problem per network
trace
file. This makes it easier to understand the problem.

tcpdump -n -i eth0 -s 0 -w samba-problem-description.pcap

Network topology

If you have a special network setup especially with Active Domain controllers
please describe how you're network looks like and what the domain names are.

Tell us which version of Windows you're using and which functional level of
AD.

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org