I hear that Fedora 18 will come with Samba 4

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Thu Aug 2 00:25:57 MDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 21:10 -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Is anyone making sure that the transition from Samba 3 to Samba 4
>> after an upgrade works fine?
>
> As Fedora isn't shipping the AD DC, their users really won't notice
> much.  The extra client libraries have already been shipped for ages in
> support of OpenChange.
>
> The same applies to the next debian release, which while it has a Samba4
> AD DC included (at least for now), the primary purpose remains
> OpenChange client support.  (Debian will only ships the ntvfs-based DC
> in thier next release)
>
> In both cases, the challenge for us will be to explain to our users why
> the package in their distribution isn't the full Samba 4.0, and how to
> replace it if they need an AD DC.
We have added some readme files to the packages that explain why and
how it is done. Andreas takes great deal to test that packages
actually build both with AD DC disabled and enabled in Fedora. So, one
could rebuild the package and get fully working Samba 4.0 AD DC with
embedded Heimdal version. However, that package will be incompatible
with certain other packages that use Samba libraries et al due to
Kerberos API drift. I'm thinking on adding some guards through the
generated names and versioning so that once you rebuild samba package
with AD DC functionality, it will supersede stock samba package in
Fedora so that no updates will break the install. You'd need to
rebuild src.rpm then to get updates for yourself. So much we can do
before we'll get MIT Kerberos working as embedded KDC for Samba 4.0.

> Users of the file server really won't notice much at all - while lots of
> great work has gone on under the hood, the tdb databases used etc is
> unchanged, as far as I'm aware.
There is one change in registry.tdb that breaks downgrades since
registry format changed between 3.6 and 4.0 smbd. This applies to both
AD DC case and (F18-default) build without AD DC
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy