I hear that Fedora 18 will come with Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Aug 1 22:32:22 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 21:10 -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Is anyone making sure that the transition from Samba 3 to Samba 4
> after an upgrade works fine?

As Fedora isn't shipping the AD DC, their users really won't notice
much.  The extra client libraries have already been shipped for ages in
support of OpenChange.

The same applies to the next debian release, which while it has a Samba4
AD DC included (at least for now), the primary purpose remains
OpenChange client support.  (Debian will only ships the ntvfs-based DC
in thier next release)

In both cases, the challenge for us will be to explain to our users why
the package in their distribution isn't the full Samba 4.0, and how to
replace it if they need an AD DC.

Users of the file server really won't notice much at all - while lots of
great work has gone on under the hood, the tdb databases used etc is
unchanged, as far as I'm aware.