Samba 4 insufficientAccessRights when modifying Configuration

Nadezhda Ivanova nivanova at samba.org
Wed Aug 1 12:02:09 MDT 2012

Hi Brian,
We will need to take a look at the access check dumps. To do that, you need
to run Samba with log level 10. Add the machine account to the Domain Admin
groups, and repeat the installation. The log file will be enormous, but
search for something like:
Object
CN=group-Display,CN=407,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=xmen,DC=eti
has no write property access
Access on
CN=group-Display,CN=407,CN=DisplaySpecifiers,CN=Configuration,DC=xmen,DC=eti
denied

After that there should be a dump of the security token, which looks
something like this:
Security context:     : struct security_token
        user_sid                 : *
            user_sid                 :
S-1-5-21-2851635801-3495335766-3134857892-1014
        group_sid                : *
            group_sid                :
S-1-5-21-2851635801-3495335766-3134857892-513
        num_sids                 : 0x00000006 (6)
        sids: ARRAY(6)
            sids                     : *
                sids                     :
S-1-5-21-2851635801-3495335766-3134857892-1014
            sids                     : *
                sids                     :
S-1-5-21-2851635801-3495335766-3134857892-513
            sids                     : *
                sids                     : S-1-1-0
            sids                     : *
                sids                     : S-1-5-2
            sids                     : *
                sids                     : S-1-5-11
            sids                     : *
                sids                     : S-1-5-32-545
        privilege_mask           : 0x0000000000000000 (0)

and after that is a dump of the security descriptor for the object. It can
be very big, starts with something like:
Security descriptor:     : struct security_descriptor
        revision                 : SECURITY_DESCRIPTOR_REVISION_1 (1)
        type                     : 0x8c14 (35860)
               0: SEC_DESC_OWNER_DEFAULTED
               0: SEC_DESC_GROUP_DEFAULTED
               1: SEC_DESC_DACL_PRESENT
               0: SEC_DESC_DACL_DEFAULTED
               1: SEC_DESC_SACL_PRESENT
               0: SEC_DESC_SACL_DEFAULTED
               0: SEC_DESC_DACL_TRUSTED
               0: SEC_DESC_SERVER_SECURITY
               0: SEC_DESC_DACL_AUTO_INHERIT_REQ
               0: SEC_DESC_SACL_AUTO_INHERIT_REQ
               1: SEC_DESC_DACL_AUTO_INHERITED
               1: SEC_DESC_SACL_AUTO_INHERITED
               0: SEC_DESC_DACL_PROTECTED
               0: SEC_DESC_SACL_PROTECTED
               0: SEC_DESC_RM_CONTROL_VALID
               1: SEC_DESC_SELF_RELATIVE

And goes on with the list of all ACEs in sacl and dacl. We will need all
that to figure out why the access checks have failed, could you send it?

Regards,
Nadya