[Samba] Samba4 high cpu load

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 30 22:50:29 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 16:04 +0200, steve wrote:
> On 05/04/12 00:55, Günter Kukkukk wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 April 2012 15:33:46 steve wrote:
> >> OpenSUSE 12.1
> >> Version 4.0.0alpha19-GIT-7290a62
> >>
> >> Upon starting, s4 burns the CPU for around 5 minutes:
> >>
> >>     PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
> >>
> >>    3672 root      20   0 72780  20m 2388 R 95.4  1.1   0:36.84 samba
> >>
> >> After which all is well. Maybe this is just openSUSE as on Ubuntu it's
> >> less than 5 minutes (but still there).
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >> Cheers,
> >> Steve
> >
> > when i had upgraded to opensuse 12.1 some months ago, i also noticed a
> > 3 to 5 minutes hang with high CPU usage when samba4 was starting.
> > S4 was started interactively with some debug info as
> >     ./sbin/samba -i -M single -d3
> > and before the hang a strange message
> >     "WARNING! no socket to connect to"
> > was displayed.
> >
> > Running s4 inside gdb showed the hang during startup of the internal ldap service.
> > The CPU was "hard working" inside "the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library"
> >    /usr/lib/libgmp.so.10
> >
> > Further investigation showed that pkcs11 was using the gnome-keyring module
> >     /usr/lib/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so
> > This module was also displaying the strange string "WARNING! no socket to connect to"
> > (see also /etc/pkcs11/modules/* )
> > Btw - i'm running KDE here.
> >
> > I de-installed gnome-keyring and most pkcs11 related stuff - and the s4 hang
> > was gone!  :-)
> >
> > It already took me a lot of time those days - so i did no further investigations ...
> > Possibly it's enough to only de-install gnome-keyring.
> >
> > It should be noted, that samba4 is still inside its startup sequence when that hang occurs,
> > not all modules have been initialized, so s4 is not able to operate properly at all during
> > that (3 - 5 minutes) hang state!
> >
> > Cheers, Günter
> >
> Hi
> Sorry to open this one up again but the problem with startup times on
> openSUSe remain.
>
> The startup is now over 5 minutes. I have removed gnome keyring and the
> pkcs11 stuff.
>
> The delay is the same interactive or not. can anyone point me in the
> right direction to trace this?

When I last looked at it with Günter, we determined that this was in the
gnutls library, where we are required to generate a DH key pair for
LDAPS support.  The operation is declared as 'expected to take a long
time' in the manpage.

What we need to figure out is:  is the way we call and use gnutls
correct, is this a bug in gnutls, or is there a different best practice
we should follow.