Making it easy for people to build VFS modules for packaged versions of Samba, like the SerNet ones

simo idra at samba.org
Sun Apr 29 12:19:26 MDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 11:15 -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> It would be real useful if the various packaged versions of Samba,
> like samba3-3.5.14-xx.el5.x86_64.rpm, etc came with a package that
> included just enough of the source tree to allow people to build VFS
> modules for that version without having to pull down the source
> packages and building them so they can get the modules built
> correctly.

Public headers files are made available in -devel packages.
Source in src/rpm packages, that's how it is.

> Maybe this is too much effort, but it seems that once it is codified
> in a SPEC file (or whatever other packaging systems use) it is a
> no-brainer from then on.

It is too much effort and it makes little sense. If you want to allow
people to build vfs modules than we need to make sure what is needed is
exposed through public header files, then they can be installed with
-devel packages.
Distributing partial sets of sources in binary rpms is a no go.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce