Explaining s3fs and how a Samba 4.0 DC will operate

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 27 16:30:28 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-04-27 at 08:40 -0500, Ricky Nance wrote:
> Nice write up, one quick question, It looks like at the bottom you
> mention provisioning with --use-s3fs=yes, is this just so the config
> file is setup correctly to use it?

Yes.

> If so I may jump on later tonight and update the wiki to include
> people that use the samba3upgrade or just want to implement it without
> re-provisioning.

Currently --use-s3fs=yes is not recommended, not only because we have a
number of serious ACL issues that are not yet addressed.

It is also because it is more than the 'server services = +s3fs -smb'
this is required - for example, to use the s3 spoolss (which we want
to), we have to use the s3 winreg.  Discovering these interdependencies,
and then expressing then in a way that doesn't create monster smb.conf
files is one of the many things we need to focus on.

What I'm saying is that the 'manual' instructions might change, and will
hopefully go away in the long run (when this is really the default).

Anyway, thanks for your interest, and to everyone who has already fixed
up detail, spelling and my lack of wiki-skill in this.  There is much
more to explain, from loadparm to many other things, and if you or
anyone else on the list know of an area that was reworked for this
effort, please do add it!