What does raw.samba3checkfsp do and why would adding ACLs make it fail?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Apr 27 06:28:51 MDT 2012

I've been trying to add ACL testing to our make test, because I think it
is important to test our ACL behaviours, and it will provide a baseline
for validating ACL behaviour in s3fs (plugin_s4_dc).

Unfortunately, I keep getting my autobuilds denied by:

Using seed 1335521448
Failed to create test.txt - NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
UNEXPECTED(error): samba3.raw.samba3checkfsp.samba3checkfsp(s3dc)
REASON: _StringException: _StringException: Unknown error/failure

What I'm at a loss to understand is why this fails, and it seems only in
the autoconf build.

A few things will help me dig into this further - it needs to be
converted to the toture_assert() framework so the error becomes a
failure with a reason and line number, but in the meantime, if anybody
has any thoughts. I would appreciate it.

I'm quite concerned that this isn't the only test that has been
disturbed by enabling storage of NT ACLs - the samba3hide test still
won't pass on a server that uses the acl_xattr module for example.
These acl modules will be the core foundation of the s3fs project for
the Samba 4.0 release, and so I would appreciate any assistance in
allowing them to be enabled with minimum impact on our tests, and on
deployed installations.

The tree I was trying to push is:

https://git.samba.org/?p=abartlet/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/s3-acl-fail

Thanks,