vfs_stat called but ignored when client has dir open

Andrew Klaassen clawsoon at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 25 09:35:19 MDT 2012

--- On Tue, 4/24/12, Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE> wrote:

> My question was more like whether Windows does it for
> directories as well at all. If it does, we must do it as
> well. If it does not, we have a bug in Samba.

A quick test between Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 suggests that:

 - If the client has the directory open in one window and deletes a file in the directory from another window, the directory's mtime is cached, ~unless~ the directory's mtime is also being watched from the server, in which case the directory's mtime is updated.
 - If the client ~adds~ a file instead of deleting it, there's no directory mtime caching.

I haven't had a chance to dig into it any further; that seems crazy enough already.

Andrew