Welcome to Samba, GSoC students of 2012

C Davis cd.rattan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 01:56:44 MDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Kai Blin <kai at samba.org> wrote:

> Yesterday night, the list of accepted students for this year's Google
> Summer of Code was announced. Three proposals to Samba were accepted,
> and I want to extend a warm welcome to Christopher, Dhananjay and Pavel.
>
> I would ask the three of you to write a short follow-up to describe
> their respective projects for this summer, and I'm looking forward to
> working with you.
>
> I hope you'll all have a great summer,
> Kai
>
> --
> Kai Blin
> Worldforge developer http://www.worldforge.org/
> Wine developer http://wiki.winehq.org/KaiBlin
> Samba team member http://www.samba.org/samba/team/

I'm Chris, and I'll be working on a console-based registry editor
for Samba. It'll be a general-purpose editor like Windows' regedit.
Samba's registry on the local machine can be accessed directly,
and remote registries can be accessed over the network (this
should include both remote Samba and Windows registries).
Samba already has code for accessing registries in a variety of
formats, so I imagine I'll spend most of my time working on the
UI. The ncurses library will be used to help build the UI, so the
editor should be portable to quite a variety of systems.

Should be a fun summer. Glad to be working for Samba!