NFSv4 ACLs

simo idra at samba.org
Mon Apr 23 08:20:50 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-23 at 15:20 +0200, Ondrej Valousek wrote:
> On 04/21/2012 06:59 PM, steve wrote:
> > BTW, we gave up on nfs4 acl's when we discovered it was impossible
> to have a group rw share from a 0022 umask:-(
> My understanding is, that you can not use both. Either you use
> standard Unix chmod and umasks or you use ACLs for finer-grained
> control &
> inheritance. You can not expect both will work simultaneously.

Actually they do work simultaneously, it's only that the group
permission changes meaning completely when using ACLs, and become a mask
itself, the filter access for any other group. It become a restriction
on what is the maximum access granted to any other group.

So when using ACLs, you need to realize that a chmod group is going to
change meaning, that's all.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce