NFSv4 ACLs

Ondrej Valousek webserv at s3group.com
Mon Apr 23 02:17:16 MDT 2012

Well, there is no 'libnfsv4acl' library - as far as I know Linux only comes with libacl library which is POSIX draft only.
I use the nfs4_*facl command to manipulate those.
My personal opinion is that the current libacl library should 'understand' nfsv4 semantics, too.

If I submit a RFE against libacl package - how much success can I expect with implementing this?

Second question:
Simo said that re-exporting NFS is not supported. Why? It always worked fine for me - including file locking...

Thanks,
Ondrej

On 04/20/2012 08:55 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:04:02PM +0200, Ondrej Valousek wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> I know this has been asked many times, but I will ask one more time:
>> I would like to export NFSv4 mounted filesystem with Samba and would
>> like to be able to use windows "security tab" in explorer to modify
>> these ACLs.
>> Do I have any chance with Samba on RHEL-5/6?
> Does Linux have local API's to manipulate mounted NFSv4 ACLs ?
>
> Samba has VFS modules to cope with mapping Windows ACLs onto
> NFSv4 ACLs but currently they only work on AIX, Linux with IBM's
> gpfs and Solaris right now.
>
> If you can point me a docs showing the library APIs for Linux
> to allow programatic manipulation of NFSv4 ACLs then I can
> make it work on Linux too.
>
> Jeremy

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer system(s).
Please direct any additional queries to: communications at s3group.com.
Thank You.
Silicon and Software Systems Limited. Registered in Ireland no. 378073.
Registered Office: South County Business Park, Leopardstown, Dublin 18