[Samba] Issues with migrated SYSVOL GPOs

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Mon Apr 23 01:40:51 MDT 2012

Am 23.04.2012 06:35, schrieb Matthieu Patou:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> On 03/22/2012 01:31 AM, Andreas Oster wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> some time ago I've posted on samba.internals but did get no answer to my
>> question. I hope that someone on this list can give me some help.
>>
>> I have migrated a Win2k AD to samba4 and copied SYSVOL as decribed in
>> this post:
>>
>> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2011-October/080026.html
>>
>> Now I have the problem that only the builtin Administrator can
>> sucessfull modify/add GPOs. Users which are assigned to the
>> "domain admin" group can open/view GPOs but when trying to change
>> anything an error message pops up stating that the user is not allowed
>> to do it. Unfortunately the GPO does not work anymore afterwards and
>> needs to be rebuild by the administrator.
> I'm pretty sure that the problem you have is the following, the default
> group for the administrator user is 'administrators' and so on the *ix
> side file are group owned by this group.
> Members of the domain admin group get an access denied while trying to
> store the file because they are not seen as member of the administrators
> group (which is the case) and because other group membership that should
> give them write access are not translated to posix acls.
> The way to solve it to give the group membership to either "domain
> admins" or "enterprise admins" and make sure that they can write.
> In order to get the gid for this group you can use wbinfo
> --group-info="domain admins".
> The second problem you'll face is that you can create new policy by
> default with just admin users. This is due to a limitation of the
> posix/acl layer, the root of the problem is that when the group policy
> console try to create the new policy it creates a folder and the ACLs
> specified by windows set the group ownership to domain users and the
> user ownership to "domain admins" as ACLs for domain users are limited
> posix rights are translated to rx so when it tries to create a GPT.INI
> file, Windows is denied to do so because at the end the user hasn't the
> right to write in this newly created dir (directory_user != user &&
> directory_group_right forbid write).
>
> The way to solve this problem is to force the directory mask to be 775,
> it's not the most elegant situation but it works.
>
> Matthieu.

Hello Matthieu,

thank you for your explanations, but I am a little unsure waht to do :-)

1) do I have to change the file group for all the files and directories
   in the SYSVOL dir to "domain admins" ?

2) should the force directory mask be placed in the Sysvol section ?

   [sysvol]
	force directory mode = 0775
        read only = No

Thank you for your kind help