upgradeprovision alpha17 to alpha18: dbcheck errors

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 19 07:11:11 MDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-04-08 at 23:40 -0700, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> Hi
> > Now we just need to figure out the right way to explain this to our
> > users.
> >
> > Matthieu,
> Sorry for the late answer
> > With the provision-time markers you made in the DB,
> Well I don't think there is really a provision time marker, there is
> somekind of information in @PROVISION but they are more about usn
> ranges, there is also something in oEMInformation but I can't say that's
> highly reliable.

Why is it not reliable?  It looks to me like the perfect filter -
particularly as you change it on upgrades.  We would only offer an
upgradeprovision if it is less than alpah13 (or whatever you recommend
as a cut-off).

I agree in future we could populate the DB with more info, but we need
to work with what we have at the moment.

The only other way to do this is to look for specific errors as
tell-tale indications that the DB is an old, incorrect provision.  Do
you have any ideas which errors we could look for.  Then, depending on
what they are, we can either teach dbcheck about them, or offer an
upgradeprovision if (even with it's known issues) it is the best option
available.