Solving: samba registry with client programs

Stef Walter stefw at gnome.org
Thu Apr 19 02:57:13 MDT 2012

On 04/18/2012 09:40 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> The only problem with this is if we mirror this data somewhere
> else we'll never fix the problem correctly - which is to have
> a library that asks smbd.
>
> Is half-a-loaf better than none in this case ?

It's not clear to me that using smbd to access the registry is really
'fully baked'. I mean plenty of people run winbindd or other samba
client apps without smbd.

If those people use the registry (eg: with "net ads join" to configure
smbconf correctly with discovered settings) then this registry-via-rpc
would fall apart.

In addition would you really expect smbclient to stop working because
smbd isn't running for some reason?

To make registry-via-rpc a 'correct' solution a daemon would need to be
started for clients when smbd isn't running. This would need to be done
via some startup mechanism, such as setuid, socket based activation
(systemd) or DBus. Starts to get quite complex, no?

In my (uninformed) opinion, a fully baked solution would be:

 * Split the smbconf part of the registry into its own file, and use a
   less brittle file format for the smbconf registry, one that doesn't
   have problems with readers locking.

Cheers,

Stef