Samba4 internal dns Failed DNS update [solved]

William Brown william.e.brown at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Apr 19 01:33:53 MDT 2012

> I replaced the 192.168.1.1 forwarder (on my cheepo router) with google at 8.8.8.8 and everything sprang to life. I've added my actual isp's server too.

It would likely be that your cheepo router doesn't properly conform to some standard regarding DNS replies. It would still be valuable to packet trace this to identify *how* a malformed response is killing samba.

> Everything seems solid again now but could you have a quick look at this smb.conf. The addition of my isp's forwarder hasn't made any difference. Does the order matter? Can you even have more than one forwarder?

The order defines which forwarder is queried first, and will fall back to the second (presumably, this is how it works in BIND). Yes you can have more than one.

Sincerely,

William Brown

Research & Teaching, Technology Services
The University of Adelaide, AUSTRALIA 5005

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
IMPORTANT: This message may contain confidential or legally privileged
information. If you think it was sent to you by mistake, please delete all
copies and advise the sender. For the purposes of the SPAM Act 2003, this
email is authorised by The University of Adelaide.

pgp.mit.edu
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=vindex&search=0x3C0AC6DAB2F928A2