Solving: samba registry with client programs

Tue Apr 17 14:14:58 MDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 03:08:35PM -0400, simo wrote:
> > Option 5. Use a daemon to read config
> >
> >    As Simo suggested there might be a daemon which runs and makes
> >    the config available to the clients using RPC.
> >
> >    Seems resource intensive, and out of my current time and
> >    capabilities.
>
> Stef, FWIW, you do not need to code up a new daemon, running smbd would
> suffice as it provides access to the registry RPC enpoint over NCACN_NP
> or the new NCALRPC. But you would need to write some client logic to do
> that and you would require smbd running.

We've also had repeated requests for an lgpl library to
access samba's registry. Doing it via some form of RPC would
IMHO be the right way to do it. Simo is right, smbd already
supports registry access. It should be simple to add a
unix-domain socket only mode for smbd, just to access the
registry. The major piece that's missing is the NDR support
library required to do the RPC marshalling. That's only
available as GPL code.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de