What exactly makes tdb2 hard to package (ccan?)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Apr 16 16:27:06 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 00:44 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 08:22:48AM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > > But AFAIK then wafsamba will assume that you are linking against tdb
> > > (which it know bundles ccan) and thus it doesn't need to link against
> > > ccan explicitly. Am I misunderstanding how things are working?
>
> > I don't see how that would happen, as this is how the dependencies are
> > declared:
>
> >         if not bld.CONFIG_SET('USING_SYSTEM_TDB2'):
> >             bld.SAMBA_LIBRARY('tdb',
> >                               SRC,
> >                               deps='replace ccan',
>
> > That is, the ccan dependency is only entered into our processing if we
> > are NOT using a system TDB2.
>
> Hmm, I guess perhaps it's the implied_libs attribute that does provide
> the behaviour I was talking about?

Yes, internally to a top level samba build we get into trouble if ccan
is made a builtin library, and becomes implied as available via tdb2
(the linker script then hides the symbols).  For that reason, it isn't
set up that way (at the top level, it is a 'bundled' library instead).

In short, there within a single build there is a behaviour like this,
but it has already been worked around.  I believe the patches I proposed
provide an additional option in continuing to build if ldb ever directly
requires ccan.

> > > This is problematic because it means that if the tdb library is
> > > upgraded the ccan functions go away (since their signature changes).
> > It certainly would be if that was the case.
> In that case I'm surprised by the difference in behaviour (missing
> symbol errors building samba3) I was seeing when linking against a
> system ldb without tdb2 support. I don't really see why that would be
> happening?

Can you still reproduce this after your commit:

commit 26d68c3c288195cfc152915dede47d505bd30b1d