Samba4: What does 'The Directory' mean?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Apr 14 19:21:20 MDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 20:28 +0200, steve wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm the only English speaker on our team of testers over here.
>
> When you guys refer to 'The Directory', how does that translate to a
> mere mortal openSUSE user?

'The directory' refers generally to the replicated active directory
tree, ie the tree of records that are nominally stored in sam.ldb (but
as you notice, the actual storage is more complex than that).  It is
also easily described as the content seen over ldap:// and replicated
with DRS replication.  All objects as seen over ldap have a DN, and are
in 'the directory'.

When using in an unqualified sense, it does not generally refer to
folders on the filesystem.

I hope this clarifies things.