3.6.4 INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Apr 12 11:02:28 MDT 2012

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 04:16:53PM -0700, Andrew Morgan wrote:
>> I just upgraded to Samba v3.6.4 on Solaris 10 (previously running
>> v3.5.12).  After the upgrade, I found that nothing was being logged
>> to my syslog host anymore, so I started playing around with the "log
>> level" setting.  I ended up discovering a crash bug that is
>> triggered by setting "log level = 3" and attempting to connect to
>> the share.
>>
>> I have attached my redacted smb.conf, log file, and GDB backtrace.
>>
>> I don't know if the problem is related, but I still would like to
>> get syslog logging working too!  :)
>>
>> Let me know if there is more information needed.
>
> Does the attached patch help?

Yes!  That fixed the segfault.  Thanks for the quick response on the bug.

Now back to my original issue...  With my original logging settings:

         log level = 1
         syslog = 6
#        syslog only = yes

After upgrading from v3.5 to v3.6.4, I no longer see log messages in
syslog.  Specifically, I see this message:

[2012/04/12 09:47:00.225872,  1] smbd/service.c:1081(make_connection_snum)
   win7 (10.xx.xx.xx) connect to service data$ initially as user doej (uid=123, gid=1) (pid 6590)

in /private/samba/var/log.smbd, but it is not sent to syslog.  That's why
I started playing with the log level setting.

I *was* able to get the "INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11" message in syslog, but
nothing else.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
 	Andy