missing /usr/local/samba/private/dns

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 11:33:58 MDT 2012

Hi Amitay,

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 12:24 +1000, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
> I don't see DNS partitions information in either of the DCs. So
> something is definitely wrong here. When you provisioned the first DC
> (kdc01), looks like it was created without DNS partitions or somehow
> the DNS partitions were created, but the information is not recorded
> in the Configuration. This is really weird. No wonder when you try to
> use samba_upgradedns, it tries to create DNS partitions, because there
> is no record of them under CN=Partitions, but fails because the
> partitions actually exist.
>
> At this point I would suggest you manually add those entries. Use the
> attached ldif file to create those entries.
>
> ldbadd -H /path/to/sam.ldb -b
> CN=Configuration,DC=saitelitalia,DC=local dns-add.ldif
>
> It should create the missing entries under CN=Partitions. Then make
> sure they are replicated to KDC02. Once that is done, try running
> samba_upgradedns.
>
> Amitay.

thanks for your patience.

After ldbadd, replication started working, so great job :-) .

Now samba_upgradedns fails with

[root at kdc02:/usr/local/samba/private]# samba_upgradedns --verbose
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf"
Reading domain information
lpcfg_load: refreshing parameters from /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf
params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
"/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf"
Looking up IPv4 addresses
IPv4 addresses: 192.168.12.2
Looking up IPv6 addresses
DNS accounts already exist
No zone file /usr/local/samba/private/dns/saitelitalia.local.zone
DNS records will be automatically created
DNS partitions already exist
Updating msDS-hasMasterNCs and hasPartialReplicaNCs attributes
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba_upgradedns", line 406, in <module>
    "msDS-hasMasterNCs")
_ldb.LdbError: (1, 'Operations error')

I'll try to see if I can be much clearer,
Daniele