Samba4 internal dns Failed DNS update

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Thu Apr 5 02:48:45 MDT 2012

On 05/04/12 09:54, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-04-04 18:51, steve wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Version 4.0.0alpha19-GIT-0971a4e
>>
>> After around 1/2 hour:
>>
>> ../source4/dsdb/dns/dns_update.c:294: Failed DNS update -
>> NT_STATUS_IO_TIMEOUT
>>
>> and everything stops.
>
> Please specify what you mean with "everything". Everything as in "the
> life, universe and everything", or "the whole machine", or "samba" or
> "dns updates"?
>
> Does the DNS server still respond to DNS requests using dig/host/etc?
>
> Cheers,
> Kai

Hi

Sorry.
GIT-0971a4e
No. dig and host are lost. Any connected clients have to be rebooted.
This happens after s4 issues a dns update (The one it does periodically.
The one where it does DNS and SPN updates every 10 mins or so).
Afterwards, trying manual samba_dnsupdate does not finish. It just sits
there. The only way we can get back up clients is to restart s4 and
reboot them:-( The rest of the server works OK. We are able to restart
s4 fine. This also is the case after a total cold start. The first few
DNS updates work OK.

We have a few (valuable!) days for testing so have gone back to bind for
the moment but we can do a clean install with the internal dns in a
couple of hours if we can help test anything. Please tell us if we can
help in that way.

Cheers,
Steve