Samba4 internal dns debug level

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Apr 4 06:47:39 MDT 2012

On 04/04/12 13:59, Kai Blin wrote:
> On 2012-04-04 13:01, steve wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Would it be possible to move the verbose output of the DNS server at d3
>> to a higher level? It makes it difficult to see the output in
>> interactive mode.
> Sure, all you need to do is to replace the "DEBUG(2," happening in
> source4/dns_*.c by "DEBUG(5," or whatever level you need. I'm a bit
> reluctant to change this in master at this point, as the DNS server is
> still pretty new and increasing the debuglevel makes it harder to debug
> the DNS server. :)
>
> HTH,
> Kai

Thanks Kai, that's great. How are we fixed for doing a make install over
the top of what's already there?

What I'd like is the d3 as it was without the internal dns, but with the
option of still having it at a different d level.

While we're here:
Afet battling with bind for too long, the forward and reverse zone seem
to be working with internal.  I created a reverse zone and it injected
the reverse record without me doing anything.  The xp client took its IP
from a bog standard adsl router. Does this look correct?

hh3:/home/steve # samba-tool dns query 192.168.1.3 hh3.site marina14 ALL
Password for [Administrator at HH3.SITE]:
   Name=, Records=1, Children=0
     A: 192.168.1.23 (flags=f0, serial=110, ttl=1200)

hh3:/home/steve # samba-tool dns query 192.168.1.3
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa 23 ALL
Password for [Administrator at HH3.SITE]:
   Name=, Records=1, Children=0
     PTR: marina14.hh3.site (flags=f0, serial=110, ttl=1200)

If so then wonderful! I'm just praying that my Linux clients will do the
same.

Just one last thing. Even though I have a ticket, it asks me for the
password for every query??

Cheers and sorry to take so much of your time.
Steve