"samba3" parameters in smb.conf when running as AD DC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Apr 4 03:00:37 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 11:22 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 10:32, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > If I set samba3 parameter (ie. vfs object) in smb.conf for samba4 it will print an error message: Unknown parameter encountered: "vfs objects", but server will start.
> >
> > If I try to add it with python it will print this error message and the the line won't be added in the smb.conf if I then do a lp.dump(file).
> >
> > This is causing a problem during provision as it's using the python interface for loadparm and setting some samba file server options could be interesting.
> >
> > What's the solution ? Adding those parameters to samba 4 ? prefix them with s3fs and instruct source3/param/loadparam.c how to strip this prefix ?
> What about adding param flags FLAG_SAMBA3, FLAG_SAMBA4 and specify
> them explicitly in parm_table?
> In addition to that both parm tables could be provided in a common
> lib/param/ library so that code in samba4 could consult them both and
> ignore ones with FLAG_SAMBA3 while code in samba3 could also consult
> both and ignore ones with FLAG_SAMBA4.

It simply needs to be just one parameter table.  The starting point is
to get the two existing tables in sync (they are already for
service-specific parameters).

We could start by using another #include to bring in the common
portion.

I'm not in favour of things like FLAG_SAMBA3 or FLAG_SAMBA4 - instead,
some parameters may simply only be used in some parts of the codebase.
This happens already, some things only impact on nmbd, or winbindd, and
this is just an extension of that.