A NetApp test, aclfunc.exe seems to think that DACLs with unneeded zeros should not be resized

Wed Apr 4 01:53:50 MDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 03, 2012 at 03:10:29PM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On 4/3/12, ronnie sahlberg <ronniesahlberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Richard
> >

> > There are applications in the enterprise space that abuses the ACL and
> > stores binary data inside an ACE.
>
> Well, it struck me that people might be hiding stuff in the DACL.
>
> Note, however, that in this case the NetApp tool is not abusing ACEs,
> but rather they are abusing the DACL. The DACL correctly states that
> there are 5 ACEs in it, and each are the correct size (20, 36, 20, 24,
> 24 bytes respectively) howevr, the DACL is stated to contain 1000
> bytes, with the remainder being zeros.

With the loss of alternate data streams this might become
much more popular in the future. George Colley probably
knows about this already :-)

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de