GSoC - ncurses registry editor

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Tue Apr 3 06:13:31 MDT 2012

On Tuesday 03 April 2012 02:37:50 C Davis wrote:
> Hey. Thanks for your response, Michael.

Hi C,

> Ok. I was thinking of mimicking regedit's interface, as it's pretty
> simple and familiar. There would be a tree view for keys on the left,
> and a panel for viewing/editing values on the right. A tree view similar
> to the file system navigator in "Midnight Commander", another ncurses
> project, would work pretty well for navigating the hierarchy of keys in
> the registry, and it shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Sounds like a plan.

> Hmm. It seems the biggest benefit of having a true plugin
> system with backend modules loaded at runtime would be
> to offer users a means to add custom modules without
> being forced to recompile Samba. If users are unlikely to
> do that, then it'd be simpler to just link in, IMO. Though, I
> think the API for backends should be largely the same
> regardless of whether or not dynamic loading is supported.
> With Python modules/types written in C, for example, the
> "built-in" stuff uses the same API that extension modules
> do.

Well, I don't think that plugins will be built outside of the samba source
code. If time permits we could use modules and load them with dlopen().

I don't think so. It is a good idea to look at http://talloc.samba.org/

> Thanks.

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org