Upgrading from a really old Samba 4?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 06:01:34 MDT 2012

Hi

On 3 April 2012 01:54, Amitay Isaacs <amitay at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 29 March 2012 17:26, Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi

>>> I'm running a really old version of Samba 4 (77b9b97) with the DNS
>>> records in a normal bind9 zone file.  No need for dyndns, since I
>>> don't have machines joining/leaving the domain.
>>>
>>> There seems to be a memory leak in that version.  Otherwise it works very well.
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> If I were to upgrade from such an old version, is it necessary to run
>>> upgradeprovision?  (I know that running upgradeprovision is not
>>> recommended right now, in which case would I need to wait until
>>> upgradeprovision is fixed?)
>>>
>>> If I do need to run upgradeprovision, what order do I run it in wrt.
>>> dbcheck and/or the DNS upgrade script?
>>
>> And additional question related to the above:
>>
>> What is actually wrong with upgradeprovision?  Is it just related to DNS?
>>
>> I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me wrt. the above :)  Matthieu?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> upgradeprovision script provided a way to upgrade AD database that was
> provisioned using older samba4 alpha releases. This is due to the
> changes in the provision schema. (Matthieu can highlight which version
> included the schema changes, so if you are using older version, you
> will have to use upgradeprovision.)

Thanks for the reply.  I managed to chat with Matthieu on IRC last
night and he clarified some things for me.

The upgrading-samba4.txt implies you might want to run
upgradeprovision if you're upgrading from before Alpha13.  I am
upgrading from before Alpha13.

According to Matthieu the issues with upgradeprovision are to do with
ACLs for DNS related attributes, and some issues with attributes for
SACLS.

For the moment I'm going to run dbcheck only and run upgradeprovision
when it's fixed.

> You can run dbcheck before and after. It does not change the database
> unless explicitly asked to do so. If there are problems in AD, dbcheck
> tool would identify them.

Thanks.  In the past when I've run dbcheck it has found two or three
issues that it was unable to fix.  I will ignore those for now.

> samba_upgradedns is provided as a tool to migrate from using BIND9
> flat files to AD based DNS (either using DLZ module or internal dns
> server).

Yes.  I thought perhaps running samba_upgradedns before running
upgradeprovision would help with the DNS issues, but it will be
simpler to stick with the flat file for the moment.

> So, assuming you have provisioned this AD database long before (and
> requires schema fixes):
>
> 1. Run upgradeprovision to fix schema
> 2. Check that the upgraded schema is correct and no missing
> attributes/links etc. using samba-tool dbcheck
> 3. If you want to use AD based DNS and step 1 has not added DNS
> partitions, then you would use samba_upgradedns to fix the provision
> for DNS.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Amitay.

Thanks.