on Samba 4.0 epmapper, and 'embedeed' RPC services

Andreas Schneider asn at samba.org
Mon Apr 2 04:23:58 MDT 2012

On Monday 26 March 2012 22:00:48 Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Andreas,

Hi Andrew,

> I wanted to get back to you about the status of a combined end point
> mapper, and the embedded RPC services.  In particular, I wanted to let
> you know where this all fits in terms of Samba 4.0, and s3fs,
> particularly as I've wondered off into the strange world of id mapping
> in recent weeks.

I was on vacation the last week.

> In the long term, my hope is that we might be able to develop a shim
> layer, that allows Samba4's RPC server layer to load Samba3 rpc servers.
> This would be done by using the fact that Samba3 RPC severs are
> implemented in terms of a number of non-static functions, that could be
> wrapped by the Samba4 generated RPC layer and some functions to fake up
> a pipes_struct.

I think metze wanted to start to write a common dcerpc infrastructure. Maybe
it is a good idea to start this after the 4.0 or 4.1 release.

> Finally, I think some of the removal of the optional/disabled
> functionality in my patches may have been based on a misunderstanding.
> It seems that in fact, the event context is wiped in the per-client
> child processes.  This means that my feared multiple-process
> re-registration or listener wouldn't happen, it would just happen in the
> master process.  (I still think doing real RPC processing in the master
> process would be a bad idea).
>
> Thank you very much for your assistance so far, and I look forward to
> continuing to work together.

Thanks for helping to fix up the code.

	-- andreas

--
Andreas Schneider                   GPG-ID: F33E3FC6
Samba Team                             asn at samba.org
www.samba.org