Samba VFS: Is it really a Virtual File System API?

Sergio Conde Gómez sconde at dilmun.ls.fi.upm.es
Fri Sep 30 13:22:05 MDT 2011

El 30/09/2011 19:41, Jeremy Allison escribió:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 03:21:58PM +0200, Sergio Conde Gómez wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I were searching a way for sharing through samba an online disk
>> space from a provider that gives an https based API without mounting
>> or syncing the files on the computer that runs the samba server.
>>
>> I have discovered Samba VFS but the developer documentation is old,
>> its dated 2003, and I don't know if Samba VFS works as an API for
>> creating Virtual File Systems and sharing them or only for extending
>> capabilities of existing file systems.
>>
>> If Samba VFS is not the way but that can be done with Samba, can
>> anyone send me in the right direction? (I don't care if I have to
>> develop a module for samba if there is an API).
> Samba VFS can be used to create a file system out of thin air :-),
> not just extend an existing filesystem as all calls from the
> upper layer code go through it.

Uhm... I dont see the way for returning file contents, for example, or
things like that so I want to ask something, is there any updated
documentation or any example about implementing external file-systems?
Should I use Transparent or Opaque...

I'm using this docs:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/VFS.html
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Developers-Guide/vfs.html