Samba VFS: Is it really a Virtual File System API?

Sergio Conde Gómez sconde at dilmun.ls.fi.upm.es
Fri Sep 30 07:21:58 MDT 2011

Hi,

I were searching a way for sharing through samba an online disk space
from a provider that gives an https based API without mounting or
syncing the files on the computer that runs the samba server.

I have discovered Samba VFS but the developer documentation is old, its
dated 2003, and I don't know if Samba VFS works as an API for creating
Virtual File Systems and sharing them or only for extending capabilities
of existing file systems.

If Samba VFS is not the way but that can be done with Samba, can anyone
send me in the right direction? (I don't care if I have to develop a
module for samba if there is an API).

Thanks in advance,
Sergio Conde.