[RFC] Switch on tdb2 API by default?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Sep 29 09:20:57 MDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 07:52:48AM -0700, Kai Blin wrote:

> Note that as build systems go I tend to prefer waf to autoconf because I
> know Python much better than m4. But I do get Volker's point that it's
> not as portable as the autoconf build system.

The other issue is that (as I understand it) right now the waf
build required the Heimdal libraries to be linked into the smbd
fileserver. For US Government contracts this is prohibited as
MIT kerberos is the only certified krb5 library set that can
be used.

We need a 4.0.0 fileserver-only build to be MIT-only or we
can't be used on US government sites.

For the 4.0.0 AD code I think it's perfectly acceptable
to insist on Heimdal there (new functionality).

So just another point for keeping the autoconf build
around, less svelte though it may be :-) for a 4.0.0
fileserver build.

Jeremy.