[RFC] Switch on tdb2 API by default?

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Thu Sep 29 03:40:47 MDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 09:27:46AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> Let me say this in very clear words:
>
> The autoconf build is NOT deprecated for the pure Samba3
> file server, nmbd and winbind build and will not be
> deprecated for quite some time. Building Samba3 on a plain
> stock AIX (pick your favorite platform) with any C compiler
> is a definite goal of Samba3 that we will keep up for very
> long.

The Python team says "Python runs everywhere". That's their goal. So it
makes sense to me to push autoconf maintenance on weird/horrible
platforms off to the Python team.

Python 3.2.2 is 60M of source. If the only cost to including pristing
Python source was compilation time, would that be acceptable? I can't
recall Python requiring anything other than standard tools on Solaris,
HP-UX and (most likely) AIX. The good thing about these platforms is
that they don't change much. And we don't even have to build a Python
with all features enabled.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org