[RFC] Switch on tdb2 API by default?

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Sep 29 01:23:00 MDT 2011

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:13:18 +0200, Christian M Ambach <christian.ambach at de.ibm.com> wrote:
> Rusty wrote on 09/26/2011 12:16:51 PM:
>
> > > If you can't
> > > make tdb2 work in the autoconf Samba3 build, then it won't
> > > be in the default install for that release. I would not like
> > > it, but if it is not possible to make tdb2 work in autoconf,
> > > then it will be a pure Samba4 thing.
> >
> > It's possible, but at some point, we have to move on.  I'd rather do
> > that *before* I have to wade into the autoconf stuff again...
>
> I do not think that the next Samba release (whatever number it will have)
> will be based purely on waf, most probably the fileserver part (namely
> source3)
> will still have an autoconf based build available and some people will
> still use that instead of waf.

We deprecate it with a big warning that it's going away, because the waf
build is faster and generates smaller libraries and binaries.

How much faster?  About 12%.
How much smaller?  About 30%.

It also does much more checking, which has found real bugs.  Sure, it's
only marginally simpler to use (maybe because I'm not a python person?).
It is less lines of actual build scripts, even though it builds s4 as
well.

Getting rid of the autoconf build will let us clean up include paths and
make s3's code cleaner.  I'd be delighted to do that work in a year or
so, but we should be laying the groundwork now.

Cheers,
Rusty.