sysvol replication in samba4?

Daniele Dario d.dario76 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 00:59:25 MDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 16:56 -0600, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 7:30 PM, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:

> >> Wait until the replication protocol has been implemented.
> >
> > In the mean time use a rsync + csync script to do the replication for you.
> >
> > I can post soon the script I'm using to do this job.
> >
> > it's not 100% perfect but still quite ok.
> >

> I'd like to see your script
>

> my script looks as follows
> <----- start of script
> #!/bin/bash
> testmount=`mount | grep /mnt/sysvol`
> if [ "${testmount}" = "" ]; then
>  mount /mnt/sysvol
>  sleep 5
>  testmount=`mount | grep /mnt/sysvol`
>  if [ "${testmount}" = "" ]; then
>   echo could not mount /mnt/sysvol
>   exit
>  fi
> fi
> rsync -ra /mnt/sysvol/ /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol
> <-------- end of script
> and I have it in crontab as follows
> * * * * * /root/sync_sysvol
>
> > --
> > Matthieu Patou
> > Samba Team
> > http://samba.org

I don't understand: does the above script mount sysvol (using fstab)?
You don't need to mount the sysvol share to be able to sync it.

For example let's say that we have these 2 DCs: PDC and BDC.
In PDC's rsyncd.conf we will have this entry
[sysvol]

than from BDC we can run:
# rsync -ar remote_user at bdc::sysvol /usr/local/samba/var/locks/sysvol

where remote_user is a user allowed to login to pdc through ssh (best if
you share the key between servers)

Daniele.