Mounts to Windows 7 and "out of memory" or "insufficient server resources"

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:22:18 MDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:28:38 -0500
> Steve French <smfrench at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 4:30 AM, Shirish Pargaonkar
>> <shirishpargaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:

For servers other than Windows 7 and Windows Vista, we have
not been able to reproduce the problem, so Windows 2003 and Windows 2008
are probably ok.  I was also unable to reproduce this to Samba or Windows XP

But for mounts to Windows 7 or Windows Vista from Linux cifs for 3.0
kernel or later,
two workarounds for this Windows problem have been found:

1) As Pavel discovered, increasing MaxWorkItems to 4096 in the Windows
registry solves this.
2) Or to workaround this on the Linux client, load the cifs kernel
module with a lower limit on the simultaneous requests per connection
ie
     "modprobe cifs cifs_max_pending=10"
(it would default to 50)

--