samba4 dns related question

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 15:02:24 MDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
> You can't all the DCs register themselves as having "mydomain.local"
> pointing to them.
> In order to solve your problem you have to define sites, computer usually in
> one site will ask for DC by making the following DNS request:
>
> host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.<sitename>._sites.domain.local.
(translated to nslookup for windows people following along)
nslookup -type=SRV _ldap._tcp.<sitename>._sites.domain.local.

> The same for sysvol and netlogon the DFS referral protocol is returning
> first DCs the closest to the computer.

Sweet I didn't know of sites before now this should make things run much faster
I'll experiment with it a little and see that its getting sysvol from
the closest computer

> For new computer and computers moving from 1 site to another, it has to be
> tested I'm pretty sure we try to implement this but we might still have
> bugs.

What about this needs tested? Isn't this just DNS? and adding sites
and subnets to sites and services helps populate the dns here but I am
using windows dns as the master and bind as my slaves.