Mounts to Windows 7 and "out of memory" or "insufficient server resources"

Suresh Jayaraman sjayaraman at suse.com
Tue Sep 27 23:47:25 MDT 2011

On 09/28/2011 03:06 AM, Steve French wrote:
> FYI - The cifs async write in 3.0 seems to exacerbate problems running
> out of memory (apparently) on the Windows 7 system (running as a
> server) after a large file copy to the server completes.   I have been
> able to reproduce the same problem on Windows Vista Service Pack 2
> (which is a good news/bad news story since my earlier testing on
> Windows Vista showed hangs on some requests rather than returning out
> of memory).  Does not seem to be a problem with any of the Windows
> server versions just Windows 7 and Vista so far.

The last time when I encountered this, cifs client was reporting "Cannot
allocate memory" a.k.a -ENOMEM error. But, it is actually a
NT_STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES error from Server being mapped to
-ENOMEM. I found this mapping confusing atleast initially. Is this
mapping correct?

Not sure do we have a POSIX equivalent of
NT_STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES? Should we map it to a error code that
is more obvious?

Thanks
Suresh