Bug 8132

Arvid Requate requate at univention.de
Tue Sep 27 11:08:02 MDT 2011

Hello,

further investigation shows that apparently XP and Win7 clients only show the
location and comment attributes of a printer share if a correct drivername is
configured for the share as well. E.g. running the following command before
connecting to the printer share from an XP client causes the client to display
the location and comment fields correctly that samba pulled from CUPS:

  rpcclient localhost -c 'setdriver testprinter1 "HP LaserJet 6MP"'

On a side note, this change in client behaviour does not seem to be related to
the entry generated in ntprinters.tdb. This can be seen by running the
rpcclient 'setprinter' command instead, which also causes samba to write an
entry to ntprinters.tdb, showing location etc., but it doesn't cause any
change in client behaviour - unless 'setdriver' is run as well.

Cheers,
Arvid

Quoting post by Arvid Requate sent 27.09.2011

--
Arvid Requate
Open Source Software Engineer

Univention GmbH