s4/ldb: error string handling

Matthias Dieter Wallnöfer mdw at samba.org
Wed Sep 21 11:00:51 MDT 2011

Hi Andrew,

always related to my extended operations work I'm noticing the fact that
we are setting generic error strings on failures (if no one already
exists) in quite some different places (py_ldb_add(), py_ldb_modify(),
..., ldb_autotransaction_request()). Hence this handling has to be
duplicated when I'm implementing py_ldb_extended() and so on. Anyway I
have my doubts if this enumeration is or will remain complete and intact.

After a talk to Jelmer which thinks that an error string is always good
to have my proposal is to move this handling into ldb_request() and
ldb_wait(). I would be very glad if you could have a look at the patches
in my "pre_exop" branch beside the last one (ldb:pyldb.c -
implementation of extended request handling) which is WIP.

Thanks,
Matthias